The City of Allentown established the "Abandoned Real Property" Ordinance No. 15026 to ensure the health, safety and welfare of its residents by addressing the deterioration and blight of city neighborhoods caused by an increasing amount of abandoned real property.
The ordinance requires the registration and maintenance of "Abandoned Real Property" which meets any of the following criteria:
1. Has had a lis pendens filed against it by the Lender holding a mortgage on the property.
2. Is subject to an ongoing foreclosure action by the Lender.
3. Is subject to an application for a tax deed.
4. Pending tax assessor's lien sale, or
5. Has been transferred to the Lender under a deed in lieu of foreclosure.
There is a non-refundable registration fee of $200 per property due upon the registration. Failure to register an applicable property will result in fines, penalty and possible lien against the property.